Sunday, September 16, 2012

Viva Las Vegas Design Team Submission

One of my goals for this blog was to create a submission for the Viva Las Vegas Rubber Stamps design team.  I have several stamps by this company in my stash, and I search their website (and order) several times a year, especially when I'm looking for just the right image or saying to complete a project. 

Here are a few examples of the artwork I've created using their images.

A St. Patrick's Day Card - I like to send cards on the unusual holidays, and what's more Irish than a good beer shared with good friends?
 

Be My Valentine -- I did a series of Valentine's Day cards, using this dog stamp colored in a variety of breeds (think golden retriever, dalmation, hound dog) and changed the sentiment with each one.  I have two little dogs -- a sheltie and a toy poodle, and Viva Las Vegas had stamps of each breed.  I have used them on other cards. 



Desert ATC -- This ATC (artist trading card) was made for a swap.  The theme was 'books you've read,' and I had just finished reading a Tony Hillerman novel "A Thief of Time."  The story was about an anthropologist who studies ancient Anasazi pottery.  She disappears, and the Navajo Tribal Police must discover why. I stamped this scene on 150 (very fine) grit sandpaper, and colored it with Twinkling H2O paints.  It has a great texture and the paint sparkles, mimicing the sun reflecting off the desert sand.

 
Travel America ATC --  This ATC was for another swap with a 'Travel the USA' theme.  What is more iconic than Route 66?  A diner along the way, with a vast deserted highway, reminds me of the many trips my family took in the late 60's.  "Are we there yet?"



Totally Tangled Alice -- Another ATC, this one with a twist.  The theme was 'Alice in Wonderland,' but I didn't want to do something so literal.  I had just started playing around with Zentangles, a method of artwork that encourages repetitive design, and decided to try it out with my Alice stamp.  I was able to find examples of things she may have found in wonderland...the heart, with cat-like stripes, and the large flower come to mind.  I made 12 of these ATC's, and each one was a little bit different.  For more on Zentangles, check out this website: http://www.zentangle.com/

 
So this gives you a little taste of the kind of stamping that I do.  I tend to go for funny or scenic stamping, rather than 'cute,' but then every once in a while, I'll see an image that will motivate me to try something new.  Till next time, happy stamping!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment