Friday, September 21, 2012

Pearl Knotting Class in November

When I was pregnant for the third time (!), I took my first jewelry making class through G Street Fabrics outside of Washington, D.C., and learned how to create a knotted necklace.  The class project was an 18 inch strand of rose quartz, which is funny to me now because I never wear pink.  It has long since been cut apart and the beads used for something else, but I have continued to knot semi-precious stones and pearls for the past 20 years.

I teach at The Bead Garden, a sweet little bead shop in Havertown, Pennsylvania, and do most of the re-knotting repair work.  Last week, a woman brought in this necklace, which had broken, for re-stringing. 
 
 
It is made of the most beautiful dark grey fresh water pearls, graduated in size from about 8 mm to about 16 mm.  This photo just doesn't do it justice.
 
Start to finish, the repair took about 20 minutes.  Knotting beads isn't hard, there are just a few little techniques that make the job go easier.  Over the years, I've taught at least 100 people how to create a knotted necklace. 
 
If you live in the Philadelphia area, and you're interested in learing how in person, I'm teaching at the Bead Garden on Thursday, November 8, from 6 - 8:30 p.m.  You can register online through the website http://www.thebeadgarden.com/classes.htm

For those of you who don't live nearby, I'll try to post a video tutorial soon.

More jewelry designs are coming soon -- check in with me again!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment