Thursday, September 6, 2012

My first published artwork!

It's so exciting when you see something you have created in print! 

I subscribe to RubberStampMadness magazine (www.rsmadness.com), the premier magazine for rubber stamp artists.  At the back of each issue is a call for submissions.  When I saw the call for artwork based on the theme "She loves...", I knew exactly which stamp I wanted to use.

For years (before I was married), I had a bumper sticker on the back of my VW that said "The more I know men, the more I like my dog."  Looking back, I think it signified my free-wheeling spirit through college and my first few years of 'adulthood.'  When I saw my bumper sticker stamp on the Viva  Las Vegas Stamps website, I had to buy it.  It sat in my stash unused until I saw the call for art based on the "She loves..." theme.

So, how would I create a visually appealing card that would reflect the saying?  After nearly 25 years of marriage, there have been plenty of smile-worthy (or eye-roll worthy) gifts that I've received from my dear husband (DH, on further reference).  Early in our marriage, I got a lot of jewelry, but as the years have gone by, I've received more 'practical' gifts -- a new electric skillet, a complete set of nesting plastic storage containers, and a barrel that turns leaves and table scraps into compost. Good thing I'm low maintenance. 

(I'm going to insert a disclaimer here:  my DH is a wonderful man who never, ever complained about my long distance telephone bills (remember them??) or flinches when I spend hundreds (or more recently thousands) of dollars for a new sewing machine.  He may roll his eyes from time to time when a package of rubber stamps arrives in the mail, but he actually went shopping at a stamp store by himself, and brought me home some very funny stamps!)

Working with the theme of a husband giving a 'practical' gift as a birthday present, I searched through my stamps and found what I needed, except for one -- the gift.  I did an on-line search and found the vacuum cleaner stamp, and knew I was in business.   

I sent my card in to the magazine, and was thrilled to receive a call from Roberta Sperling, the editor, saying that it would appear in Spring 2011 - Issue 171.  She said my card evoked a lot of laughs from the staff and visitors who saw it, and that's exactly what I was going for when I created it. 

What do you think?

Stamp Credits:  Vacuum, collie, saying - Viva Las Vegas Stamps; diamond floor - Judikins; Lady - Inky Antics; bow, balloons - Judy Pelikan; Happy Birthday text - Leisure Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment