Friday, September 14, 2012

More on Scenic Stamping and Masking

In my last post, I outlined the basics of rubber stamp masking to create a scene.  One of the toughest things when you try this technique for the first time is determining which image needs to be stamped and masked first. 
 
To give a scene depth, one (or more) image should be in the foreground, and others make up the background.  As the artist, you get to decide which images go where.
 
To show you the difference, I picked two stamps from my stash -- a window and a person. 
 

I stamped both on a post-in note to make a mask, and trimmed them carefully with scissors. I cut the inside of the window out with an exacto knife.  I stamped the lady first, covered her with the mask, and stamped the window over top. 
 
By stamping the lady first (and masking her), the window appears in the background.  Now, here's how the scene looks when I stamp the window first, mask it, and stamp the lady inside. 
 
Now the lady is in the background, and the window is in the foreground.  Did you notice that the woman's sunglasses and shopping bag are gone?  Actually, they were stamped on the mask, which brings up another point --  if you work carefully, you can use masks to cover part of an image you don't want to appear in your scene.  The stamp positioner (mentioned in my last post) really comes in handy for that trick.
 
So, if you're intrigued enough to try scenic stamping, the best advice I can give is to make a mask for each image you plan to use in the scene and play with them a bit to find the right perspective. 
 
For some terrific examples (and plenty of inspiration), check out the cover art of Rubber Stamp Madness Magazine by clicking here:  http://www.rsmadness.com/galleries/past_covers.html. Also available on their website is their publication "Album is Scenic Art," which includes some of the best work by the artists who submit to the magazine. 
 
Just for fun, I stamped one more image on my scene.  With the right sentiment, this would make a fun birthday card. 
 
Happy stamping!
 
 
Stamp credits:  lady with cake and lady with shopping bag, Ronnie Walter for Inky Antics; window, Another Stamp Company.





No comments:

Post a Comment