Sunday, February 3, 2013

Skeleton Keys are Hot!

Old-time skeleton keys are hot on the jewelry scene right now!  It's a fun and easy way to incorporate 'steampunk' style into jewelry.

Recently, Leslie at The Bead Garden (www.thebeadgarden.com) got some in the store, and we both were itching to make up samples using the keys.

Instead of hanging my key vertically, I decided to wire it horizontally to chain, to act as a cross bar.

I added more chain below the key and brought the two ends together by wiring on the fish 'heart' bead.  A ring hangs below the heart, giving me a place from which to dangle shorter pieces of chain and charms.  .
Deciding which charms and beads to use was tough!
 I varied the length of chain for each charm, so they  had some 'breathing' room.  
After 30 minutes, my necklace was complete!  You can make one just like this for under $15!

I stuck to a mono-chromatic palette, but Leslie used color to make her keys pop. Go to her facebook page to see her design (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bead-Garden/151078615990).  And, if you're local, stop in to pick up the supplies to create one for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment