Sunday, February 24, 2013

Can you think of a way to use this?

Here's a quick little craft project that I worked on a few weeks ago.


It is a three tier terracotta display.  I saw something similar on Pinterest, but when I went to the local craft store, I was limited to the sizes of clay pots that I could buy.  I'm thinking that when Spring rolls around, I'll be able to find much larger pots and trays at the hardware store or local nursery.  The trays on this project are 5", 7" and 9" in diameter.  I used two clay pots, 2" and 4" in diameter.  Including paint and brushes, I spent less than $15.

The pieces are glued together with E6000 glue.  This adhesive it great for all kinds of applications!  I glued the pots together before I started painting, because I was afraid the paint would interfere with the bond.

I painted the pots with regular acrylic craft paint, which was a pain, because it soaks into the porous clay and takes three or four coats for complete coverage.  (I thought the craft store carried special paint for terra cotta, but I couldn't find it.)  Then, as a finishing touch, I sponged on metallic silver acrylic craft paint, which gave it a glossy shine.  You could top coat the project with an acrylic sealer spray, but since I didn't have any on hand, I skipped that part.

So what would you use this for?  I took this one to work, and it's sitting on the register counter at The Bead Garden.

Made up larger and painted differently, one of these would work great just inside your front door as a catch-all for keys, change, sunglasses, etc.  Can you think of another way to use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment