Friday, August 2, 2013

A twist on an old favorite: Cheese Steak Egg Rolls

Last month, my d.h. took me to a Phillies game for my birthday, and we arrived at Citizen's Bank Park early enough to get lunch at Harry the K's restaurant.  (Usually, the line for a table outdoors is very long, but we were seated right away.)

Because it was a hot day, we just ordered a salad to share and an appetizer -- Cheese Steak Egg Rolls.  They were served with caramelized onions and Chipolte mayonnaise. Delicious!

Since then, I've been thinking of trying my hand at making them at home, and today I finally tackled it!

The ingredients for a great dinner -- or snack!
The ingredients are simple:

1 pound of chip steak -- I purchase mine at the local butcher, but you can substitute Steak-Ums.  (For those not from the Philadelphia area, chip steak is top round beef, usually frozen and sliced very thin by a butcher.)
5 slices of cheese -- I used American, but Provolone would be good, too.
10 egg roll wrappers -- I found these in the fresh produce section of my grocery store.
olive oil for cooking the meat
vegetable oil for cooking the egg rolls

Optional:  I decided to make caramelized onions.  I had a Vidalia onion handy, and started them first.  Slice the onion into thin strips.  Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of margarine or butter to a heavy skillet.  Heat on medium high; add onions and begin to cook.  After the onions become transparent, lower the temperature to medium low, and let the onions cook for about 45 minutes, stirring and turning them every five minutes.
The onions are turning brown, but have about 15 more minutes of cooking time to bring out all of the sugar in them.
You want them to start to stick the pan a bit before turning them. Scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan every time you turn the onions.  If you need to, add a bit more olive oil to keep them from drying out. You'll know they are done when they are a deep, golden brown and very sweet tasting.

Cut the meat into thin strips.  Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a large skillet.  Add the meat and season with salt and pepper.  Cook over medium high heat and stir frequently.  Cook until evenly browned.  Remove from heat and drain the meat, pouring off any fat or drippings.  Set aside to cool.
Chip steak cooked and drained, waiting for the onions to finish cooking!
Cut each piece of cheese in half.  Prepare a work surface -- I put foil on the countertop, and had a tray nearby to hold the finished egg rolls.  Also, fill a small dish with water, for brushing on the egg roll wrapper.

Lay out the wrapper in front of you so it looks like a diamond.  Lay a half of slice of cheese on the wrapper. Top with about two or three tablespoons of cooked meat.  Mound on top one tablespoon of caramelized onions.








Ready to roll!


Fold the bottom point of the wrapper up and over the meat filling.  Use your fingertips to moisten the left side of the wrapper and fold it over to the center. Do the same with the right side of the wrapper, tucking the wrapper in to seal the sides.  Moisten the top point of the pastry and roll the bundle toward the point to seal.  Lay each egg roll on the platter, point side down, until you are ready to cook them.


Moistening the edges of the pastry help it stick together. 

I haven't used a deep-fat fryer in years (trying to eat healthier!), but I did get it out for this project.  I used four sticks of Crisco, which melted down to about three inches of oil in the fryer.  You could use a heavy pan (Dutch oven) and Canola oil if you don't have a deep-fat fryer.  Be very careful when heating oil!

Fry egg rolls in batches for two to three minutes, flipping at least once to brown all sides.  Remove from oil and drain on a plate covered with paper towels.


Keep an eye on the egg rolls -- the cook very fast!

Serve immediately while hot. Refrigerate left overs -- they can be reheated in the oven, set at 400 degrees, for 5 - 10 minutes.

Two were plenty for my dinner, but my son ate three!  I served mine with Chipotle mayo, but you could use ketchup or hot sauce or pizza sauce, if you want.  These could be a fun appetizer for a small crowd -- my Bunco Babes will be looking for them when I host Bunco this fall!!



Yum!  I added Chipotle Mayo and more onions on the side!  







No comments:

Post a Comment