Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cute Baby Quilts Don't Have to Be Hard

My nieces are having babies so fast, it's hard to keep up with them!

Case in point...three were pregnant at the same time -- one due in December, one in March and the third in May!

My custom is to make a baby quilt for each new great-niece or -nephew, but as my niece Gina's shower got closer, I hadn't yet started a blanket for her baby!  But I had everything I needed...my daughter helped me pick out the fabrics on our trip to Maine last summer.

We stopped in Belfast to pop in on Fiddlehead Artisan Supply, located at 159 High Street.  What a cute shop -- bright and colorful, with lots of projects on display!



In the window, we saw a cute panel by Robert Kaufman fabrics called "Bright and Buzzy."  It was designed by Laurie Wisbrun (screen print D #13774 www.robertkaufman.com).   Kaitlin thought is would be perfect for Gina's baby -- she's a doctor and her husband is a teacher.  My daughter picked out a bright yellow print for the back and a small green print for the binding...her first foray into selecting coordinating fabrics for a quilt.  She did a great job!

Panels are pretty easy to work with, but I try to put my own little twist on them.  After layering the panel over it's backing and batting, I decided to stitch around the printed 'blocks.'  Using a water-soluable blue marking pen, I drew stitching lines between the alphabet prints.

I added curves to my stitching lines to mimic the shape of the pre-printed 'blocks.'
Generally, it is suggested that quilting stitches be within 6-8 inches of each other, to hold the batting in place during use and laundering.  The overall stitching in some areas of the quilt was much bigger than that, so I decided to add detailing within some of the blocks.  For instance, I drew an outline around the apple, then stitched it with my sewing machine.

Safety pins hold the 'quilt sandwich' together while I do the stitching.

I did this for about eight letters.  To finish up, I added a narrow binding using the green print, and stitched it down by hand.

Everyone at the shower said the blanket was very cute, but I think my great-nephew is cuter!!

Photo: Thank you for the beautiful blanket Aunt Renee!! We love it!
Griffin gets some floor time on his quilt.


1 comment:

  1. this quilt is beautiful. and that quilts thought attract customer.click it.http://www.weaveron.com/

    ReplyDelete